Susan B. Nachimson, M. A., CCC, SLP, C/NDT
has been practicing speech-language pathology for more than 40 years. She uses water for the treatment of clients with severe limitations of voicing, respiration and volume control, oral-sensory hypersensitivity, movement with phonation, developmental apraxia of speech (DAS), focusing and attending, and many other clinical issues for infants, children and adults with and without neuromotor limitations.
With a strong background in NDT (NeuroDeveopmental Treatment/Bobath), Hendricks Institute Radiance Breathwork and Prenatal Process, she is also a Watsu Practitioner and member of Worldwide Aquatic Bodywork Association (WABA). Susan works in water heated at or near body temperature (93-96°F) so that clients do not feel chilled or overheated and are able to attain goals being addressed.
Susan has a private practice in Garberville, CA where she serves a varied population ranging in ages from infant through geriatric.
She has taught classes in Assessment and Intervention of pediatric oral motor development and feeding issues in a variety of formal courses and inservices.
Susan provides consultation in feeding, oral-motor development, respiration/phonation, autism spectrum and other related speech-language releated areas.
**denotes direct aquatic coursework
- MA Speech Pathology, Humboldt State University, California, 1976
- Cal. License Speech Pathology, SLP 3124, 1976 (current)
- ASHA, CCC-SLP, January 1, 1977 (current)
- Neurodevelopmental Treatment(NDT), 8 wk pediatrics, Judith Bierman, RPT 1987**
- California Certified Massage Therapist (CMT), pacific school of massage & healing arts, May 2, 1982
- Level I Training in Transpersonal Body Therapy, Guy Hendricks, March 17, 1985
- Radiance Prenatal Process, Hendricks Institute, Guy and Kathlyn Hendricks, September 2, 1985**
- Pediatric Myofascial Release, John F. Barnes, April 28, 1991
- Myofascial Release and NDT, Reggi Boehme, February, 1992
- Beyond Oral-Motor Therapy, Pamela Marshalla, MA,CCC-SLP, May, 1999
- Watsu Practitioner, Worldwide Aquatic Bodywork Association, June 22, 2001**
(completed Watsu I, II, III and Watsu III, Adaptive with prerequisite as CMT)
- Jahara Basics, July 22, 2001**
- Jahara Expansion, October 19, 2001**
NOTE: Jahara is a technique for aquatic therapy taught by Mario Jahara
- Aquatic Therapy for NDT therapists, May 1, 2002, NDTA Conference, Albuquerque,
New Mexico** Taught by Jane Aceveda, RPT, NDT
- Shiatsu by Jahara, June 17-21, 2002
- Aquatic Therapy & Rehab Institute, Inc. Specialty Institute; Pediatrics, Sue Grosse, Instructor; Variety of adult courses by many instructors; September 4-7, 2008**
- Intensive NDT- Based Therapeutic Aquatics Course for Pediatrics, Jane Styer-Acevedo, PT, C/NDT, Instructor, October 15-17, 2009**
- Aquatic Therapy Instructor Course, Water-Based intervention for the Musculoskeletal Client; Aquatic Therapy Boot Camp; AQUATIC THERAPY UNIVERSITY, January 15-16, 2010;** Andrea Salzman, RPT, Instructor
- Teaches: "Aquatic Therapy for Speech-Language Pathologists," 2002-Present**
16-18 Continuing Education Units granted by California Speech-Language Pathology Board (PDP#129)
- CPR, Infants and Adults, from American Red Cross; current
- American Red Cross Swim Coaches Safety Certification, for poolside safety**